Landlords Responsibilities

kitchen image

There are a number of things your landlord must do for you to comply with the law. Here we list what they are.

All rented properties must have safe electrical equipment, which includes electrical sockets. If the property you are interested in was constructed after June 1992, it is required to have a smoke alarm on every floor.

All furniture and furnishings must comply with fire safety regulations. You should ask the landlord to remove anything that does not meet these standards. These regulations do not cover furniture, carpets and curtains manufactured prior to 1950.

The gas supply and any gas appliances must be safely maintained and should be checked yearly by a qualified engineer. Your landlord should give you a copy of the official safety record. All water supply and waste removal pipes must be kept in good working order.

Your landlord must give you a contact address in the UK that you can call if there are any problems with the rented accommodation. If you are sharing with others, make sure that everyone has details of the contact address.

External maintenance and all repairs are the responsibility of the landlord, so it is important for you to be able to make contact when necessary. It is your responsibility to abide by the terms of the lease and not misuse the property.

When you are living in a rented flat or house, you will generally be required to pay the following bills :

  • Rent
  • Gas
  • Electric
  • Water rates
  • Telephone
  • Council Tax

The landlord cannot enter your home without your permission, except in an emergency. If your landlord needs access to the property for routine repairs etc. they must give you at least 24 hours' notice.

If the landlord wants to evict you they will need to obtain a court order. You will then be given at least two months' notice and documentation stating that you are being evicted. One of the most common disputes between landlords and tenants arises over deposits. If the argument is not resolved and is taken to a county court, claims under £5,000 are directed to the small claims track.

Part One - Basics || Part two - Do's & Don'ts


Useful Websites

Add Your Site Here
  • Simple Landlord Insurance
    Simple Landlord Insurance is one of the first complete online services for landlords insurance. Buy-to-let property insurance cover is available for all sorts of tenants.
  • Stride Commercial Insurance
    Property owners insurance and business insurance from Stride Limited. From online quotes for let property, to flats insurance, landlord insurance and more.
    Landlord Mortgages provides landlords with buy to let mortgages
  • 6 King's Bench Walk
    The Barristers chambers of Mr Sibghat Kadri WC specialising in human rights, civil liberties, crime, refugee, housing, immigration and nationality, family, discrimination, landlord and tenant and empl
  • Add Your Website Here

Further Reading

  • Renting A Property

    When renting a property for the first time - what are the do's & don'ts and what do you need to consider? Read our simple consumer guides for some ideas.
  • Tenancy And Landlords

    Understand your duties as a tenant and as a landlord. Discover your legal rights and responsibilities.
  • Property Guide

    To buy or let? What type of mortgage is right for you? Check out our guide to all aspects of property.
  • Consumer Advice

    Why not check out our great new consumer advice quick links that cover credit, finance and homes as well as the law, disability and more.
  • Buy A House At Auction

    Considered whether to buy at house auction as a way to get a bargain property? Increasingly popular, what are the pitfalls - read our simple consumer guides

Register for updates